Monday, February 21, 2011

Tundra TT

That's the best weather I've ever seen for Tundra.  I had a 10:36 start time, so it felt like May by the time I started.  But the late start meant lots of walkers, runners, and recreational cyclists were out on the Silver Comet.  It made for a somewhat dicey ride.  To make matters slightly more sketchy, the Tundra starts are based on sign-up date, not by category or speed, so faster racers have to pass lots of slower racers.  I think they should correct that for future years.
In any case, I had a good ride, finishing in 29:23 (24.2 mph) - about 30 seconds faster than last year.  So I was pleased with my performance.  A podium would have been nice, but I'll settle for 6th place in Masters 35+.

Betty Jean rode her first Tundra as well.  She rode well, finishing in around 33 minutes - top 10 in a field of 70 or so Cat 4 women.  A good start for her TT season.

And lastly, I have to do a shout out to one other Monticello rider, Alan Black.  Alan is an almost olympic-class runner who has started riding a bike.  He has a massive aerobic engine and will likely progress rapidly as he gets more cycling miles in his legs.

Three Jasper County riders from a populatoin of only about 12,000.  Not bad per capita participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment